The Waffle House Chronicles...

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Even when training for a triathlon it is still all about the bike!

Wow, another training update (or lack there of.) On Saturday I hurt my knees. I took a very hard & quick fall onto both knees while playing basketball. Didn’t think it was much but after two sessions of basketball and a 5 mile run on Monday my left knee is killing me. Felt like I bruised the stuff under my knee cap, if I take a blow to the cap it cripples me, if I push on it it feels like a bruise. Tuesday was a tough day, the knee is sore but loose today so I should be ready for tomorrow. What is tomorrow you might ask? Tomorrow I am getting Performance tested and my bike fit in Chicago. Former cycling pro (with a long resume) Robbie Ventura will be doing it for me!
Here is what the website says:
Regardless of what type of cycling you do, triathlon, mountain, track or road, everyone can benefit from the analysis an experienced cycling coach can provide. Vision Quest, LLC provides a comprehensive battery of physiological testing that is essential to help athletes determine their strengths as well as areas for potential performance gains.Vision Quest coaches take a series of physical measurements to get a picture of the basic fitness level of each athlete. On the bike, riders are tested to measure several critical factors that affect performance. Once testing is complete, Vision Quest performs a detailed bike fit to ensure the rider is properly set up for their specific cycling discipline.As a result of all the measurements, Vision Quest provides each athlete with a picture of their present fitness level as well as valuable tools and athlete specific information necessary to make performance gains.Baseline

Physiological Measurements
Percentage Body Fat
Body Mass Index
Vertical Jump
Blood Pressure
Resting Heart Rate


Performance Assessment
Power Testing
Blood Lactate Threshold Test
Maximum Heart Rate Determination
Spinscan Pedal Stroke Analysis


Post-Assessment Analysis
Heart Rate Training Zones
Prescribed Race/Workout Warmup - Athlete and Sport Specific
Professional Bike Fit
Athlete Specific Areas for Growth


So I guess this is pretty tough as they ride and run you to your limit. Oh well, I’ll get to try the Cheesecake Factory afterwards so life will be back to good! I am very excited to have a professional bike fit for the Scott as well and am excited about the Spinscan. I am sure he'll say I am a fatty and any lack of growth in my gut will help me grow as a cyclist. I’ll post a report about it when we return.

Also, last night I took the $50 plunge. I must be on crack! I signed up for the Horribly Hilly Hundreds ride. It is a 200K (over 124 miles) one-day bike ride with over 10,000 feet of vertical climbing, all in Wisconsin. Here’s to hoping I can survive the 10+ hours of torture!

No potatoes in February is going strong so far!!! Just have to hide the tots and give away a can of pringles...

Weekend should be a good time as well! I wonder what Hez is doing right now?

7 Comments:

  • I was just going to e-mail to tell you that registration for the HHH is officially open now - get the rest of those hosers from Pacific to sign up.

    Did you know there's a Pacifik lunch krew at spinning? Shelley and Trish and Melissa C - but no BurritoEater.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2/01/2006 11:55 AM  

  • Sorry J.Bro, they have their Tuesday spinning thing but I don't have that 2-hour lunch luxury like they have...thus I prefer to run at lunch.

    No one else will sign up because they are afraid to ride bikes and stuff!

    By Blogger Burrito Eater, at 2/01/2006 12:40 PM  

  • Howdy... Let's see Hez just finished posting this Wednesdays joke. I think that I might have to find a extremely tastey potato dish to bring on Sunday. :O)

    I hope you have fun at your thingy.

    Hope you enjoy your icky yucky cheesecake.

    By Blogger Hez, at 2/01/2006 10:00 PM  

  • Freakin frackin, I forgot to spell check and I put a damn e in tasty. Urgh.

    I think the quote is: "yup, that's our Hez."

    By Blogger Hez, at 2/01/2006 10:02 PM  

  • i'd do the hilly hundreds with you, but i have something else big going on in june already.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/02/2006 7:56 AM  

  • Don't worry Burrito Eater, Brent the Tank will be with you on the HHH. I signed up last night.

    By Blogger Brent's Tour de France Picks!, at 2/03/2006 8:42 AM  

  • Wait - is it even going to be possible for me to ride that far on a Fastback that's only a Comp? From TWO YEARS ago? If someone wanted to put a nice 2005 Pro or Ltd under my desk, I wouldn't turn it down.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2/03/2006 12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home