The Waffle House Chronicles...

Thursday, January 26, 2006

When I started out this was supposed to be a training blog with inputs on food and happenings. Now it appears it is a food and happening blog with occasional mentions of training. Oh well, eating is more fun than training…once I have some serious rides and races to write about I am sure I will!

Anyways, here is a training update! It’s been all running so far! I’ve only gotten out once on the road bike in January (should have went out my birthday weekend but I was kind of busy!) I’ve done 4 spinning classes in the last week+ so that’s good although from what I’ve been told that is bad. I am supposed to do base miles but I guarantee my heart rate is mostly above base during each hour of spinning. On the plus side the 5 hours of running each week is at or near a base zone so that’s good. I am guessing the 5-6 weekly hours of basketball is way above base as well. What I do realize is that I’ll never be world class…hell I’ll likely never be above Sport Class. Anyways, with this spinning and getting my bike on the trainer and the warm weather and slightly longer days I expect my riding to increase. I also need to integrate a couple of longer runs some day so hopefully in the next two weeks I can do that as well. So since my focus is on late summer racing I don’t feel as behind in my base as those who want to be in elite racing shape in late April. I’ll get to where I want to be! If only the first stage of a triathlon could be basketball then I would be all set! Want to start running? 18 weeks until Madison Marathon, just in time for this plan! I am trying to balance this plan with cycling, basketball and eventually swimming to get ready for Madison Marathon myself. I am using the Intermediate-1 plan myself but the novice plan could work for almost anyone! Running is going very well though, my knees aren’t all that sore and my body is holding up! 77 miles in January so far!

Which leads me to my doctor’s visit. Clearly my dietary plan of exercise more than I eat while good in theory overlooked one main point…cholesterol. So although I’ve lost or maintained my weight over the past year and increased muscle mass my cholesterol went up like 25 points. Granted it was checked at the peak of the Holiday season (late December) but the doctor was still very concerned. So on February 6th I start my new diet. Actually phase 1 starts on February 1st and last for a month. I invented this diet myself, it is the no potatoes in February diet. For 28 days I will eat no potatoes. But Mark, how is that a diet? You see I eat tons of fries and go places because of the fries. No potatoes means less burgers, less ranch, less cheese, less going out, less tater tots, etc. Hopefully it will get me to try some new places. You see I can still get a burger but I’ll have to find a different side, usually healthier than fries. I’ll try new places, new foods and we can go to more Jess-friendly restaurants. If I need to gorge I still can…pizza, cheese curds, burgers, etc. But trust me this will work! On February 6th I am going to try to eat less red meat and other sources of cholesterol and trans-fat. I don’t understand how it all works but I guess exercise is only 1 of 3 components to cholesterol and I can’t change my heredity. No worries though, I’ll still be eating burgers at the Fudd when it opens!

Finally I see that when I put photos in a post I get like 300% more replies so here is a photo for you! He is my pick to win the Super Bowl. All things considered it comes down to one man…Mr. Charlie Batch! He’s my second favorite NFL player (Peyton). So although I don’t care all that much who wins my leaning is towards Pittsburgh…

Oh wait, there’s more! We won our first City League basketball game. After 2 awful showings and then a drubbing at the hands of a team that is far to good to be in our league we finally won against the Harbor Athletic Club team. We played solid D and solid O and used a 2nd half press to overcome a 7 point deficit. While I used to think I was the worst player on the worst team in the league I am now a solid contributor on both sides of the ball to a below average team! I’ve had good points, lots of other stats and no fouls in the past two weeks! There’s hope for us after all!

3 Comments:

  • i think i am going to try the no training plan this year.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/26/2006 2:55 PM  

  • I like pictures.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1/26/2006 7:42 PM  

  • I think with a name of "the Waffle House Chronicles" you might have defeated the training blog ideology. But you are right, it's more fun to eat than exercise.

    It's a shame CBatch will be riding the pine to a superbowl ring.

    By Blogger el_riz, at 1/27/2006 8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home