The Waffle House Chronicles...

Monday, January 09, 2006
























Holy weekend! What are all these pictures about? Just the best birthday I've ever had! :) It took a lot of work and alot of help from friends, some who were even unknowing participants! Here is the background:

I've been waiting for 2006 to come to propose to Jess. Well my New Years plan didn't work out the way I wanted it to so I decided to do it for my birthday, what better birthday present is there anyways than Jess! :) So Tuesday I came up with this idea, I should throw a suprise party for myself. But I had to make it look authentic. I also needed Jess to be suprised as well. How could I pull that off? Ah ha! I'll have Hez help me, she can pull it off. Together we figured out how to throw a party, how to make sure it works and how to assure everyone is in the dark. I've had the ring since mid December so that wasn't a problem. I sent Hez a list of addresses to send them to and the rough information on the party. She then composed an e-mail inviting everyone. She told everyone that she knew we were going to be out with friends and be coming home at 7 or so to chill out and play some karaoke. She told everyone that neither Jess nor myself had any idea. It was hilarious! It was funny to have people I knew were coming on Saturday ask me what I was doing for my birthday! She kept me posted on the invite list and everything!

Anyways, I also had to sell this. To Jess it was easy, I told her I wanted to plan my birthday because there were a couple things I wanted to do. She was cool with that. To my friends, it wouldn't seem right if I didn't hang out with them. Since Riz was also in on the secret I invited Hez and Riz, a few other friends who I knew were coming on Saturday and a couple people I knew couldn't make it on Saturday to a euchre tournament on Friday night. There we go, the friend part of my birthday was satisfied. I ran errands on Thursday night and Saturday morning to tie up some loose ends and even made Jess walk the dogs before we left on Saturday to finish up a couple things! I did my part (and hid everything in the downstairs bath tub) and Jess and I were off!

We went to the east side and watched the movie Grandma's Boy! I really liked it (the first 15 minutes were very slow though.) I recommend that Barry and Riz see it and I have a hunch that if Brozek were in the right mood he could really enjoy it as well. Others should stay away however! Anyways, the movie was only an hour and a half so we had two and a half to kill before we could go home. We went to Animart to look around and saw a boxer puppy...wow Chili has grown alot in the past 3 months. We then went to Tumbleweed to eat and it was outstanding! I love that place! We killed a little more time before heading back towards the west side. I gave Riz a call (and hang up) which was the signal that we were 5 minutes away. We pull into the street and I see some cars way down there but it seemed like there was only a couple so I figured there weren't going to be that many people there. Now the fun was to begin!

Jess opened the door only to see Chili coming up from the basement. We normally (always) kennel Chili in the 2nd bedroom with the door shut, so he would have had to open his kennel and a door to get out. She was like, what the hell? I said he came from downstairs, we better check it out. Then Popeye walks out from downstairs as well... Jess tries the lightswitch, nothing. She is freaked out! I said, we better check it out, so I pull her downstairs and try the light switch down there...and alas suprise!!! :) Now of the people that were there, only 4 or 5 knew that I knew so most were there to suprise my birthday! Hilarious! I couldn't believe how many friends were there, I have the best friends in the world and it made me feel really good! Well we were hanging out having a good time, showing off my bike, showing off our god-daughter, singing some karaoke and someone said it is time to open presents! :)

Brooke brought me a batch of her special (the best in the world) chocolate chip coookies! Barry gave me the blockus game! Mary Jo, Andy and Isadora gave me a robe that they bought...it wasn't just any robe though, Mary Jo owns Renew Vintage (check out the link on the right) and made it into a He-Man robe with He-Man characters from an old sheet set, classic! So much for the no gifts policy. Anyway it was time for the big show. Most of the people had no idea what is going on. You see I wrapped my ring in a little box before I left. Hez then proceeded to wrap it inside like 4 other gifts which was pretty funny! Anyways I get to the 2nd to last box (the eggo waffle box) and I knew the moment was close. I open the last one and look in to where only I can see it, get down on one knee, pull out the ring and ask Jess to marry me! And she said yes! :) We were both shaking and she leaned in to hug me. Most everyone was suprised not knowing what to think and all of a sudden figuring out what was going on! Ha, I flipped the whole suprise birthday party around! I also got Jess some flowers, a card and a cool one-eyed Boston Terrier mylar balloon. And there it is, we are engaged! :) We then hung out the rest of the night, enjoying some karaoke, some shots and some drinks! After it got later we busted out some Texas Hold Em and I was getting some sweet cards and won! And Beth got 2nd so I am sure Dean will get it rubbed in now at work and at home! It was a wonderful night!

Special thanks to everyone who showed up on Saturday: Hez, Tad, Riz, Barry, Dean, Beth, Brooke, Brian, Brozek, Jerry (who missed the engagement unfortunately,) Shiroma, Jill, Koebler, Mary Jo, Andy, Isadora, Sara, Sam, Kyle. I think that was it but there could be more, I hope I didn't forget anyone! Hez, I thank you so much for all of your planning and organization and I know you spent way too much for helping me, I owe you!!! Riz, thanks for helping as well and for getting me a cake...good god 29 candles are alot! Barry, thanks for Blockus...I expect to dominate you for years to come! Mary Jo, Andy and Isadora, I can't wait to get ice at some hotel in my He-Man robe, awesome! Brooke, thanks for the cookies, they are my favorite and you can make them for me anytime! Dean and Beth, thanks so much for spending virtually your whole weekend with us! Thanks to everyone for being great friends and for being there for my big moment! We'll keep you posted on wedding plans!

5 Comments:

  • Congrats to Mark and Jess!

    Wish I was there Saturday night!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/09/2006 10:11 AM  

  • I'm so happy to be a part of a big moment in your lives. Congratulations the both of you!

    By Blogger el_riz, at 1/09/2006 3:41 PM  

  • It was so fun. I really am sorry that I lied to everyone. :O)

    CONGRATULATIONS!

    By Blogger Hez, at 1/09/2006 4:21 PM  

  • Congratulations to both of you. I wish I could have been there.

    Go Steelers :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/13/2006 6:04 PM  

  • HI I was wondering where you found the boston terrier balloon

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/12/2009 11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home