The Waffle House Chronicles...

Saturday, August 26, 2006



I gotta lay off the crank man! I entered the state crit championship today! We got there over an hour before the race and I registered. The race started pretty slow but then after about a lap the speed was upped greatly! No problem though for a while but after a couple premes I found myself towards the back. My legs were already getting cooked. Of course at my most tired moment I was about 4th to last in the pack and the guy in front of me crashed and we all had to slow. I watched the pack go away. Screw that. I started cranking and it took me 2-1/2 laps but I finally caught back on. After that the pace eased up except for 2 more premes (I think we were offered 6 premes in the race.) I went for one and came up a bike length short, but mostly I just wanted to get near the front.

I spent the rest of the race about mid-pack (we had maybe 20-25 guys left) and then the corner before we took the 3 laps to go my foot came out of the pedal. Weird. I try to click back in and it felt like it was going to fall right back out. Great. I look down and my crank was loose, 5 more pedal strokes and it would've fallen off. So that was that, I turn onto the finishing straight to take 3 laps to go in about 8th place, peel off and ride onto the sidewalk and to where our stuff was, sat down and pouted. It's all my fault, I installed a new bottom bracket last night and I clearly didn't tighten the crankset enough. I've had nothing but problems with that crank this season and it isn't getting any better. So come Monday it looks like an upgrade (parts not category) will be in order.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home