The Waffle House Chronicles...

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Feeling a bit better today so that is good. It’s early though so who knows!

Monday I was kind of down but when I got home Jess took me to the movie Click! It was a nice break and a good movie. A lot more deep that I ever thought from Mr. Sandler but still good. Yesterday I did some more research on my symptoms and I might have bronchitis. I’ll have to call the doctor today to check into that. Needless to say I am still not feeling great. Last night I went down and watched the practice crit with Chili and it would’ve been an awesome night to race. Big fields but easy races! Both fields must’ve had 30-40 riders. That was the last practice crit of the year so good thing I had some good racing last week! Hopefully in a couple weeks I can get back up to Baraboo and start hammering again. I rode an easy 20 yesterday and it was very tough. Anything above 130BPM was hurting me. But I was able to rid a lot of phlegm. Interesting to see what happens this weekend. This weekend is a big one for me and I can’t wait and hope I feel better! My favorite race, quality family time and 4 days off of work!

Random Thoughts & News (in no particular order):
-The more I research Tahoe, the more I want to go. Trail insanity!
-I got my annual (bi-annual if you account for next-to-nothing last year) raise yesterday, every little bit helps
-Wedding planning is back in full swing, need to get some more stuff figured out
-My dad retires on Tuesday, crazy!
-Beav having some minor foot surgery next Friday, requested a weekend of recovery at Miller Park
-Brewers 2-0 against the Cubs so far, two afternoon games will make work go well
-Passion, I need to ride mountain bikes, hoping to be healthy this weekend so I can go somewhere and ride for fun!
-Close friend interviews at my work, here’s to hoping for a new co-worker!
-Jess’ sister got a new job and will be closer, congrats and awesome!
-3 days after seeing Russ I haven’t heard from him or anyone in regards to the bachelor party!
-Going to the Mallards game tomorrow, weight gain inevitable!

At what point is someone too old to go to the bars downtown? I mean like late on a weekend night? I say once you are 23-24. No one wants to see a group of 10 old men (three of us were slightly under 30, everyone else older) hanging out like a bunch of creeps at State Street Brats. I don't know why people want to go down there, I haven't had fun in a downtown bar after 10pm in at least 5 years and actually every time I've been has actually been a really crappy time (not average.) It's a little different if you go somewhere that caters to an older crowd (Essen Haus, Cardinal, Terrace come to mind) but to go to a typical State St. bar is stupid and I am instituting a personal ban. The only reason I should ever be down there is when I want to eat bar food or play some trivia but never to "rip it up." Why not go to the Hody instead (cheaper beer, older crowd and tons of bar sports?) Even Hooters was significantly more fun which is saying alot! Rant off.

I am sure there is more but it’s early and I should get to work!

7 Comments:

  • What if my friends and I are closing in on 30, but still students? What's the verdict then?

    Last time we were there, on some random Tuesday night to celebrate my last lecture, we were probably below the median age. Lots of grown-ups at State Street Brats that night - maybe all the young college kids are eating salmon at L'etoile.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6/28/2006 8:34 AM  

  • Tuesday night, sitting around with a fun group on a quiet summer night in the bar is acceptable, especially if you work down there and need a place to meet before leaving. Of course with $.35 wings and trivia only a half of a block away, I will question the actual location! :)

    My question was more going down there and standing in a group and not being able to hear each other talk on a Friday and Saturday night...lame!

    By Blogger Burrito Eater, at 6/28/2006 12:58 PM  

  • I agree about the bars not being much fun when you're more than a few years removed from college. At least not the kind of bars that you guys went to. I'm pretty sure that those kind of bars exist only to provide the opportunity for poor college kids to spend lots of money they don't have on booze and hit on each other hoping to hook up with someone.

    Perferring to hang out either at my house or a friends house where we can actually sit down and converse with each other makes me feel old, but it's what I like to do, so I'm cool with it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/28/2006 1:12 PM  

  • I am going to have to agree with Jess on this one. Although, personally I haven't ever really liked the down town bars. They are too crowded for me, I like to be able to hear the person I am trying to talk to.

    I must admit though that I do miss going out just a little. I always had a good time at the cardinal dancing. I also love bar games. I know you can play darts at home (well at Mark & Jess's place) but it just isn't the same.

    That being said, when we going to go to the come back for some darts and then to the cardinal for some dancing? Any Takers?

    FRBRX
    Feeling real brooken, require x-rays.

    By Blogger Hez, at 6/28/2006 10:35 PM  

  • DAMN IT, brooken?

    EAJYI

    Every afternoon Joy yells invidiously.

    By Blogger Hez, at 6/28/2006 10:40 PM  

  • I'll second that ban. Random weeknights maybe, except for trivia and tenders! I definitely prefer bars like the Hody and the like to downtown ones anymore.

    And just like Hez:

    wpfotz
    Why Ponies Flook Over The Zebras

    By Blogger el_riz, at 6/29/2006 6:41 AM  

  • Actually it is sad, there is no where to dance in Madison (really) as the last couple times at the Cardinal there were like 10 people and crappy music. Unfortunately I am not in much of a hurry to get back there.

    I guess am officially old!

    By Blogger Burrito Eater, at 6/29/2006 7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home