The Waffle House Chronicles...

Monday, June 26, 2006

Questions. Need help, opinions and am just curious what others think. Basically I have those summertime blues.

A) Vacation: Jess wants to take a vacation around October. I’d like to also but am not 100% bound to it. Any ideas? Our current thoughts:
1. We have to go to Russ’ wedding in Ohio, so maybe go to the Carolinas and Virginas?
2. Fly out to Tahoe and ride some trails and go to Yosemite.
3. Nothing, save it and take more later.

B) Health: I am still sick, my stomach related issues are starting to clear up but by no means am I healthy in the gut. Lungs feel better, but not good. Mucus output still high.
1. Go back to the doctor
2. Wait until my prednisone is done on Thursday, then see?
3. Screw it and feel like crap

C) Cycling: My motivation for racing should be at an all-time high. It is currently at an all time low. I am not sure if it is just because I’ve felt like crap for a while or the hot temps or what. Mostly it is due to the fact that my body won’t let me do what I want or what I am capable of doing on a bike and riding at 80% at this point seems counter-productive. But I also worry about my fitness disappearing and my top-end speed is definitely dwindling. What should I do?
1. Ride on at the risk of running myself further into the ground
2. Rest more, try to get healthy and build it back up for a second peak (might ruin my WORS overall but that is already hurting anyways and I can concentrate on other things.)
3. Screw the season, get healthy and train for Ironman
4. Quit

D) Cycling: Is road riding getting more dangerous? I am having a hard time justifying trying to be a roadie
1. Yes, more riders with less skills, more road rage, more inattentive drivers
2. No, Cycling was always dangerous
3. No, it is safe, just more media.

E) Cycling: I read those IMBA ads and wonder what I would do without bike racing. I like riding my mountain bike for fun but we lack trails to sustain interest. What would/should/could I do if I don’t ride anymore without getting fat and dying?

That's enough for now. Let me know if you have answers or opinions on any or all. Looks like another evening doing nothing for me...grrrr........

6 Comments:

  • (A) Tahoe; but make sure you have enough vacation left for a Fruita trip next Spring (and Trans Rockies in the Fall).

    (B) If you have insurance, use it.

    (C) Perspective. You feel like crap, but you (a) won a WORS race, (b) kicked ass at HHH, and (c) won the last practice crit. So relax, recognize that you have fitness, and be confident that you aren't going to lose it all. Besides, what the Hell do you need top-end speed for mountain biking anyway? Top-end speed has nothing to do with the fitness you need for WORS or the Ironman.

    (D) Riding on the road is stupid, but necessary and pretty damn fun sometimes (local exhibit a: Baraboo). Racing on the road is stupid and unnecessary.

    (E) See (A). Tahoe, Fruita, Trans-Rockies (or Pisgah, Idaho, Moab, whereever). Ain't that what vacation time is for? Hell, try some 6 or 12 hour races.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/26/2006 2:27 PM  

  • yeah, what jerry said.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/26/2006 4:22 PM  

  • A) Definitely Taco and Yosemite. I read that something like 30% of Americans don't use any of their vacation time - that's fuckin' ri-donk-ulous.

    B) See the doctor. I spent years convincing Missy that she wasn't bothering the doctor by visiting - that's what they get paid for.

    C) Rest up - get hungry to race again. If you keep at it like nothing's wrong, I don't think that feeling will go away.

    D) Definitely 3.

    E) Recycle your bikes into different bikes. A 29er. A singlespeed. A singlespeed 29er. Fixed road bike. Fixed off-road. Learn to jump dirt ramps on a BMX bike. Get matching beach cruisers and ride down state street. It's all riding bikes and it's all fun.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6/26/2006 7:16 PM  

  • (A) I recommend the Great Smoky Mountains and the fall colors though it is crowded at that time of year. Tahoe/Yosemite is not bad either. Airfare is ridiculous right now.

    (B) Yeah - see the doctor

    (C) Let the issue in (B) sort itself out before addressing (C).

    (D) Unable to comment.

    (E) Uncle has a nice ring to it, Daddy is even better...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/26/2006 11:53 PM  

  • A) Of the three choices given, Tahoe

    B) As I've tried the first and third choices, I can definitely recommend going to the doctor.

    C) I would say a combination of one and two. Definitely continue to ride, but maybe cut back or alter your routine a bit.

    D) I have to believe it's option two. But I'm not basing that on any facts.

    E) I think the hoops and Y workout could be a good substitution for riding bikes. But I don't see you ever not riding in one way or the other.

    By Blogger el_riz, at 6/27/2006 7:47 AM  

  • Thanks for the perspective.

    My opinions currently:
    A- Tahoe looks totally pimp! I want to go now!
    B- Looks like I probably have bronchitis as the prednisone doesn't fix bronchitis and I still have what I have. I am guessing I overworked myself to weaken my immune system and thus put the nail in the coffin. Guh! Base 1 & 2 training with races sprinkled in
    C- Yes, once I fix B hopefully I can fix C. If not I am at least pumped for Ironman no matter what! Top end speed is good for the ego. :)
    D- I read too many horror stories. But I also love life too much to sacrifice if for cycling.
    E- I can say for a matter of fact I always want to be a mountain biker. Not sure what else I'll do until I am a dad. Have some ideas but most are crazy!!! Looking at Larkin here regarding a conversation on Sunday night...

    By Blogger Burrito Eater, at 6/27/2006 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home