The Waffle House Chronicles...

Monday, November 21, 2005

Holy Weekend!

Talk about busy! Mostly good though. The low point was actually the beginning of the weekend. After work on Friday some of us went down to Big Ten Pub for some food before going to the UW/Michigan volleyball game. The food there was average (at best.) The worst part is when they were serving us they dropped a whole thing of ranch on Jess’ lap. It was all over her jeans and a little bit on her winter jacket. Not cool. On top of that they continued to charge us for extra ranch and we didn’t get a discount or anything. All we got was a half-assed apology and a bar rag to use. That is piss-poor service. I don’t think I’ll be going back…again the food was overrated and although there was always someone around to get you a drink the accuracy and quality of service was bad. Also was disappointed at the turn-out. Seems like Riz ended up sleeping in (and not bringing Kari) and Vale and Koebler were no call, no shows as well (both also were tired.) No worries though, we still had a solid group! And Wisconsin won 3 straight and kicked some Wolverine butt! It was a good time…one of those times that makes me wonder why I don’t go to more games!

Saturday was the usual…wake up and play basketball. Played for almost two hours and then I decided I needed to get a run in since I didn’t run on Friday and wasn’t going to run on Sunday. My goal was to do a marathon a week for the three weeks before the Berbee Derby. I was at 20 miles and saw the truck race was on Saturday morning (it was rained out on Friday.) I thought, I would just go home and watch this so I’ll see if I can run until it is done. The drove about 125 miles in the time it took me to run 6.3… Goal met. What should I do now? I went home, soaked in the hot tub and decided I needed to see the new Harry Potter so I drove down to Star, bought me a ticket and I was that weird guy by himself with the snuck-in soda and Sour Patch Kids. Anyways the movie was awesome. I wasn’t familiar with where the last movie left off but that didn’t matter at all. I just watched and enjoyed and tried to figure it all out. Each time I see one of these movies I become a bigger fan. Anyways I got home in time to watch the 2nd half of the OSU/Mich game and see Michigan blow it. Bummer but it helps the Badgers two-fold so no complaints there. I pissed away the rest of the afternoon not working on my road bike and then on to the Dodgeball tourney.

Dodgeball Tourney! We had to get there a good hour early because Jess was the captain and had to fill out paper work and go to a meeting and all that crap. We built up a formidable team of Pacific Cycle’s finest. We warmed up for game 1 with some hoops. Game 1. I look across and thing that the team we are playing is beatable. We won 2 of 3 from this team and then watched the other two teams would play, both of which looked beatable. Team 2 was Gasner’s team. He is an old friend of mine from the college days. Anyways, his team really brought it that game and we didn’t bring anything (especially me.) In one game I was eliminated 6 different times, only to be brought back in by my teammates catching balls. Anyways, one game it got down to one on one and the ref ruled our one player (Casey) crossed the center-line. What a crappy way to lose that game…we lost all 3. We had to wait another hour and a half for our last game but we already knew the best we could do was tie for the lead in our division and lose the tie breaker so that sucked. Vale, Koebs and I played 21 four times (3 wins by Koebs, 1 by me) and then we watched the game before us. Two girls playing were so drunk they could barely stand-up. Imagine drunk and slutty girls playing Dodgeball with lots of guys. Hilarious! On to our final games. If we swept these we would be second for sure so that’s cool. And that is what we did. We all started to gel, learned how to throw, learned some strategy and all that. This should bode well for the next tourney in two weeks! Only 1 team per division made the playoffs so we went home early.

Sunday was fun too! I entered the WI State Cyclocross Championships that morning (Race Report and photos to follow later today) and then tried the new Chipotle Steak Burrito at Taco Bell. My assessment? A decent menu item, albeit a little pricey, that with work could be awesome! My advice? The one I had was made inconsistently which is hard to recover from when grilled. Fortunately I started on the end with all the beans and ended with a delicious medley of sauce, steak and sour cream. My advice: Order one with no beans and ungrilled and order an extra side of the sauce. The sauce is basically the reincarnation of fajita sauce!!! Awesome! Order it on your seven layer burritos! The burrito itself is basically the grilled stuffed fajita from last year, take out the peppers and onions and add beans. $2.99 is steep but if you use caution and order some value menu with it, you can still escape for around 6 bucks. After the Taco Bell we headed to Johnson Creek (I needed Basketball shoes and Jess’ was jonesin’ for a little shopping.) I bought a bunch of stuff for running, for looking good and the basketball shoes I needed. We came home to watch the last Nascar race (Congrats T.Stew and Biff) and the awesome Colts game! A little Chilis in the late evening with the Smulkas, a little Family Guy after that a little organizing and into bed I thought to myself…what a long, full and fun weekend!
This whole week should be busy as well! The Russ going away party is on Wednesday…if you need info let me know… I wonder what Riz is doing right now?

1 Comments:

  • 26 miles a week for multiple weeks on top of basketball and dodgeball? No wonder I couldn't keep up with you on Sunday!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11/21/2005 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home