The Waffle House Chronicles...

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Is it Friday yet?

Friday just might be my last fun day at work. As most of you know, my boss and I are all who are left in our department, doing the work that was done by 4 and most recently 3 people. They’ve decided to go forward with just two people. But they might be able to off-load a couple of our responsibilities to other people who are in sister departments. To do that however they decided that my boss and I should be relocated to a different part of the building, starting next week. I love my work area, I always have, I’ve made a bike and coffee station next to my cube, I have satellite radio, I sit by one of my best friends, etc. Well my new cubical is much smaller and less private than I have now. It won’t be able to get satellite radio. My coffee and bike area will be gone. The kicker though? I am now going to be part of a small cube farm and the three people that sit directly around me are:
A. My Boss
B. My baseball talking buddy Bob (who is not irrelevant except within the context of this conversation and me making a point.)
C. My Wife

Not to mention that my boss’ boss will sit directly behind me. Don’t get me wrong now, I love Jess more than anything in the world and I for the most part like my boss. But to have my boss sitting directly between my wife and I? I can handle sitting next to my boss (like I do now) or by my wife but I am less than excited to have the combination of the two. Oh yeah, and I am the only employee my boss has. So of course I went to HR and asked if we could do something else, there are plenty of cubes around and even if I was a couple cubes away it would be better. They said they could probably work something out. I mean really, do you want to have married people working next to each other in the corporate world? Of course it took less than a day for them to say that they did what they could but couldn’t make it work. None of the feasible options I laid out could work I guess. So that’s that, and come Tuesday (that is the day we were given) I get to sit in a new cube, one with less privacy, less music and less space.

So this will be an interesting experiment, I mean juggling both a personal and professional life for 40+ hours a week. I mean half of the conversations I have with Jess not at work involve work things, but now we will both know the story and not have the story to tell. I’ll keep you posted on how things go, even my greatest optimism towards the situation could easily be confused with pessimism so it’ll be crazy.

On the plus side, Chili started class last night and is well on his way to being a B- student. Actually he handled everything like a champ...it was awesome! Rocked some pasta bowl tonight too, so that was good!

3 Comments:

  • when do you give your 2 weeks?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/13/2007 9:41 PM  

  • Having a bike and coffee station next to your cube is too "Seattle" for the midwest. You can't have that.

    Since you are moving by Jess, does that mean Jess is going to do some of your offloaded work?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/14/2007 5:03 PM  

  • I'll take good care of your bike/coffee station for you. You're welcome to stop by anytime for a cup of decaf - we don't want you getting jacked up on caffeine and doing stupid things witnessed by both your boss and your wife. We'll even give you a pro deal. 50% off with a limit of 2 cups per day.

    By Blogger Mike, at 9/14/2007 5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home