The Waffle House Chronicles...

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Colorado Update

So here’s another Colorado update. Saturday after Mt Evans we headed towards Breckenridge. We stopped at Silverthorne for lunch and it was there we learned my parents vehicle had overheated just west of Denver. They asked for me to drive to meet them, so we headed the hour back that way which was kind of a bummer. We ended up ditching a bunch of stuff with them and taking some of my family to Breck while the rest waited for the car to be fixed. But since it was overheating, Jess and Larkin drove back to get more stuff so the van wouldn’t have the huge load. It was a rough evening. We went home and had some supper at a cool bar and I even scored high score on Fast Ms. Pac Man. Riz would be proud.

I woke up early with tired legs to go check out the start of the Breckenridge 100 bike race. I missed the start of the 100 mile and I was too early for the start of the 100k. So I started out on the course to check it out. I got about 1/3 of the way up the mountain and said screw it, rode across the mountain and then down some bunk singletrack. I then stumbled across a rope thing for crossing a stream. Sweet! Then I found the Breckenridge Freeride park and rode my first teeter and then a black diamond wood structure. Pimp. I then found some random trail up to Peak 8 and then down a gravel road. Found a cool trail that looked doable. So I went for it. Rode 10 miles of decent singletrack. I guess the race was going the opposite way so I ran into the pros, including Tinker who I talked to on a climb. Got back home and we went for a long walk and I even found a slurpee! Riz would be proud.

Later that day we did some hanging out. Then Jess and I went out for some more mountain biking. We rode a pretty sweet trail south of town that was alright on the way out and awesome on the way back. Great times! We then went out to eat at the Motherloaded. Tots, Mac & Cheese and cheesesteak. Riz would be proud.

Monday we went white water rafting on the Arkansas River through the Royal Gorge. It was sweet! The guide sucked but everything else was great and we all got sunburned. After rafting, the family decided to visit Sonic. Riz would be proud.

We got back to town and everyone just kind of chilled and went shopping. Jess and I just hung out and ate some pasta. I had to get carbo-loaded for the premier event, the accent up to the highest point in Colorado, Mt Elbert!

2 Comments:

  • I am quite proud of the days events. Sounds like you guys are having a grand old time out there. Keep up the good work!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/25/2007 1:58 PM  

  • that's a sweet purple jersey. i wish you'd done something i would be proud of.

    (or at least recognized you'd done it...)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/25/2007 11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home