The Waffle House Chronicles...

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Double DNF. Two rides, two misses. It all started with my lunch ride to Paoli. Pretty uneventful until I hit Sayles Trail. As I was climbing the last little rise I broke a spoke on my rear A-Class wheel. It was unridable thanks mostly to the tight tolerances of the Scott frame. I ruined a wheel in less than 2 weeks. Jess was nice enough to come and get me so I got 9-1/2 miles in. No worries, it was mountain bike night. After troubleshooting my Garmin bike computer (it wouldn’t turn on) Jerry worked on my mountain bike, installing the chain. It made a mysterious noise but my bike usually does so no worries. We head out to Blackhawk to do the time trial. I get all ready and we are about to do the pre-ride. Oh crap, my bike feels like it is skipping, kind of like a worn-out chain with new cassette. I get off and look and it appears my cassette is loose. After rifling through some cars of people we knew we found a cassette tool. It wasn’t my cassette; it was my free hub. So I was done for the night. I was hoping for 20-25 miles on the road bike and 10-15 on the mountain bike but such is life. I hung out, had a beer and watched everyone else have fun! Needless to say my day sucked as I spent 25 minutes hanging out on the side of the road and 2-1/2 hours hanging out at Blackhawk. On the plus side there were some other people to hang out with and I helped good ol’ Garett do the timing. Jerry is looking at my freehub and I’ve rigged my road bike for the gun show. My riding has been so limited this week (56 miles) so hopefully I’ll be fresh. Volleyball tonight so that’ll be a good time! Hope everyone else had a better day! I wonder what Riz is doing right now?

7 Comments:

  • i think you need to start riding some stronger equipment.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/01/2006 8:34 AM  

  • i think you need to get a different mechanic.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/01/2006 9:25 AM  

  • hopefully you're getting all the problems out of your system before sunday.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/01/2006 10:16 AM  

  • I think you've angered the bike gods somehow. Maybe all can be forgiven if we sacrafice the Paramount? :o)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/01/2006 12:42 PM  

  • Words of wisdom from someone who has been there.
    You should ride a 36 rear. Why? because 35 is better than 23.

    By Blogger Brent's Tour de France Picks!, at 6/02/2006 8:53 PM  

  • And NO! sacraficing the Paramount will only anger the gods more!!

    By Blogger Brent's Tour de France Picks!, at 6/02/2006 8:54 PM  

  • XT Cranks, Sram chains and Ritchey wheels are all supposed to be ultra strong. The A-Class wheels were a ticking time bomb, just trying to make them work in between wheelsets for me (came up two days short.)

    I finally have 2 set of quality road wheels, some stronger chains, and everything in good working order. I might need to look at even more mountain wheels!

    By Blogger Burrito Eater, at 6/03/2006 7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home