The Waffle House Chronicles...

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Holiday weekends. They seem so long at the beginning yet seem so short at the end. The weather is always way too hot or way too wet, in this weekend’s case, hot! I guess will do it recap style yet again although I am getting bored of my junk writing so hopefully one of these days I’ll get some creative spark back.

Friday- After a long hot day of work (ripping up the WORS message board and not kickin’ a 2 hour lunch like most of the office.) I went home. I discussed race strategy with Jerry (ride real fast) and then went down to meet some peeps at the Sausage Fest. One thing I noticed is that the brat quality isn’t there, sure they are Johnsonville but they taste kind of like a breakfast sausage, sort of dry. The hot dog I had was much better. After we went to MJ & Andy’s to hang out with our god-daughter and eat S’mores. It is always a good time with them!
Saturday- Get up early for L’Alp Bl’Huez. We rode out there. After climbing the second hill, I tried to downshift and couldn’t. Are you kidding me? I stopped. I broke my front derailleur. The top plate broke. Unbelievable, 4 months of riding on a new Dura Ace derailleur and snap. Who breaks a front derailleur anyways? We get to the race and sign in and warm-up and I left my scent all over Blue Mound. Then it was time to race. Brozek started before me and Jerry after me. I accelerated and was off, on a mission to catch J.Bro. Well I was caught by Jerry first and then he passed Brozek before I did. I kept Jerry in sight to the second part of the hill and that was it. See below for the agony of climbing. I felt kind of like Ullrich or Hamilton (minus 10 or so hemacrit) out there. One measure of the day is how you do compare to those riding at the same time. I passed 4 and got passed by 3 so that’s a good thing I suppose. Anyways, I finished right around 34 minutes. I see Jerry laying by the side of the road after, he said he puked twice…I didn’t reply as I couldn’t really talk. I cooled down a lap at the top of Blue Mound and then I was fine and Brozek also finished. We chilled out at the top and ate some lunch and talked to a bunch of people. I even won a nice Trek helmet. Riding home (- Brozek) with an extra helmet was interesting. I hit one puddle on the way home and my bike was caked in mud, it was insane! I basically sat on the couch the rest of the day watching some flipping show on TLC (they make it look so easy to gain a quick 100k) and then we went out with the Longs (and Kelson) for supper. Then Jerry invited himself over as he is a closet rapper and we rapped and sung. Thanks to Kelson for the free vet advice and for the non-stop amusement.

Sunday I didn’t do anything in the morning. I watched War of the Worlds (that movie is insane) and read the paper. Then we went down to the marathon and watched some people finish! It was hot! Everyone we knew finished though so that is awesome! I had a couple more brats (they were out of hot dogs, stupid ploy to break the record, although they failed) and got home for the second half of Indy. Afterwards it was over to Shelleys for her 30th b-day. I mostly just chilled and ate and watched the Nascar race. There weren’t many there that I knew so I kept it low-profile. We left shortly after the race. Happy 30th Shelley!

Monday I didn’t feel so good. Whether it be too much junk food or the cold I never really got but never really got rid of I couldn’t pin it. 90+ temps didn’t help thus my desire to do stuff was gone. Grocery shopping was about all I could manage. I did some stuff around the house, played some games, watched some movies and did very little. Jess however worked several hours on refacing cabinets. Sucks to be her! We went out for supper with her parents, than a little neighborly chatting and I was down for the count.


Post a Comment

<< Home