The Waffle House Chronicles...

Monday, March 06, 2006

Weekend = Done

Well another weekend has flown by. Friday was fun! After a hectic work day I came home and chilled. Jess showed the house and then Russ was in town for the evening. He picked up Barry and we all went to Quaker Steak & Lube. They have some wings there called atomic wings. I guess it takes 300,000 units of water to counteract 1 unit of the sauce. We’ve been daring Barry to try it and he finally did…he was the only one man (stupid) enough to step up. Just a preface, the wings I had took 2040 units of water to neutralize and were plenty warm…I highly recommend the medium Arizona Ranch wings. Anyways, here is the chronicles in photos:

Barry signing the waiver...yes you have to sign a waiver to eat these. They used to make you wear gloves as well.

The wings have arrived...spicy!!! Barry also got fried zucchini sticks...not sure why.

Barry eating the wings. The photo doesn't do him justice. His face turned red and his whole face was extremely sweaty. My sinuses were clear just from sitting across from him.

Barry wins, he did it! He gets his name on the Wall of Flame! He got the free bumper sticker! He had to order a large milkshake to keep the stomach settled. I hope he will reply to this post and tell us what Friday night, Saturday and Sunday were like for him. I took one dab of sauce to the finger and it burned for a good 5 minutes! On the plus side, they have one of the best burgers in town (I would rank it top 3 with Hubbard Ave Diner and Dottys) and I will go back. Russ had to go back to Milwaukee that night, but was certainly in awe. It was good to see you Russ!!!

Saturday morning was the usual basketball, but I came right home after that (no twinkies or running.) At 9:45 the ride was to begin. I felt like I was good to go with my carbo-loading the night before (burger, fries, six-wings.) Garett and Jerry were both surprised to see me on my bike, as it was 28 out. We met one other guy at the parking lot and we were off. It was a nice easy pace (anything faster would have provided certain doom for me) so that was good. I sprinted for the first couple of sprint points but then decided that if I wanted to still be a part of the ride towards the end I shouldn’t do that anymore. We ended up at about 2:50 for the day and probably around 45-50 miles (I think Jerry said 43 or 45 at the lot before the ride home but who knows as his computer wasn’t calibrated right or something.) I should get me one of those new fangled bike computers…I have a nice one, just no idea where I put it. He burned like 1600 calories and produce like 180 watts average so my fat ass probably did more that that! Anyways, it was nice to be on a ride and I see that running works most of the same muscles, just not the calf muscles! I was limited by the calves, that’s never happened before! Temps in the low-mid 40’s later this week and longer days will hopefully result in more bike rides!!!

After going home and soaking in the hot tub I watched the Michigan/Indiana game. All I know is Daniel Horton is a man among boys and is by far the best player in the Big Ten. That being said, Michigan has a lot of worthless other players. They are the most inconsistent team in the history of hoops, Courtney Sims can score 30 one night and then go 1-4 the next for 2 points. Some games he’ll have 6 blocks other games he’ll play only like 10 minutes. Petway is instant energy. Brown is a good hustle player. They have 4 or 5 people who can score, but each only has about a 25% chance of doing that in any given game so in several games they can only go as far as Horton can carry them…which on Saturday was 2 points shy of a win… Badgers also got thumped… I have no idea how the Big Ten tourney will go, all I know is WI and MI are in serious trouble. Illinois looks solid, OSU has won a lot of games, Iowa looks decent, MSU is always tough and Indiana is an enigma. One of those 5 will win guaranteed…

Saturday was also Mary Jo’s birthday! We went to Red Robin that evening and had a great time! Lots o fries and good people (waitstaff could’ve been better.) We then went to their house. I was dead tired and ended up just falling asleep amid conversation on their loveseat. At least one of their pugs (I can’t spell the name, so we’ll call him Jake) was kind enough to curl up and sleep with me, so that was nice! I apologize to all who were there (I don't think I snored to loud and was pretty sure I didn't drool at least!) And they got to hang with my better half anyways! Happy Birthday Mary Jo!



Sunday was more birthday bliss. No ride on Sunday as I felt like being lazy. Some grocery shopping and newspaper reading followed by some movie channel love and then we went to Oregon to celebrate Jess’ parents’ birthdays. Yep, they both have almost the same birthday, her mom yesterday and her dad today. I did find out that her dad is 4 years older than her mom, I always thought it was one year and for one day they were the same age. Anyways, it was one of those days where you have one big meal in the early afternoon and all day before and after you just graze. Lots of food! It was a good time! Came home Sunday night and instead of being productive I watched one more movie (Walking Tall.) That pretty much brings us to Monday.

3 Comments:

  • Let me congratulate Barry on his accomplishment. A truly inspiring effort.

    How many atomic wings must be eaten to go on the wall of flame?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/06/2006 10:20 AM  

  • Way to go Barry, it would have killed me.

    Believe it or not I did watch the first few minute of the Michigan/Indiana game, for those of you that don't know I am not a big basketball fan, however Michigan was housing Indiana so I stopped watching. I must say that Indiana had some of the worst passing I have ever seen from a team at that level. They must have gotten out of their funk though cause when I flipped back much later their score wasn't zero anymore.

    Glad you enjoyed the birthday blitz.

    By Blogger Hez, at 3/06/2006 11:50 PM  

  • It takes only ordering wings to make the wall of flame...which is lame. Barry's performance was legendary!!!

    By Blogger Burrito Eater, at 3/07/2006 7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home