The Waffle House Chronicles...

Monday, October 02, 2006

Totally Crossed Out!

Yesterday I made my season cyclocross debut at The Badger Cross race at the Badger Prarie Park in Verona. The Schwinn team was helping run the race (Renee ran the show) and had lots of volunteers and friendly faces. Anyways, my race was at 10am so I got there early. Cyclocross is basically a mix of riding on grass, gravel, road, singletrack and in Verona you ride twice through a sand volleyball court. You go a few laps (yesterday was 4) and it is hard. You also have to get off a couple times to run over small hurdles (barriers) to break up the flow and one of those times was up a steep hill. Anyways if you are in the Top 20 you get series points so that was my goal. I was late for the start but got my way into the second row. My friends Kelson and Garett were also racing so it should be fun. On my two warm-up laps however all the grass on the course was wet with dew and I was riding all over the place just trying to keep it upright. There had to be over 60 starters so I was in for a world of hurt!

The gun goes off and I quickly charge in the Top 10. I know I didn't want to be in the barrier section with the masses. I faded to about 15th half-way through the first lap but kept it strong. After the first lap I picked off about 5 riders. Someone told me I was in 11th, then 10th, then 9th. I think I got as high as 6th at one point. But some guy who had to stop to take a stick out of his wheel charged by me with another guy and they pulled away and I was in 8th. That last half of a lap I was about 6 seconds down from a pack of 3, just chasing and chasing but the gap stayed the same. I hoped to catch them on the long road section but instead of gaining on them, some dude was gaining on me. I held the sprint for 8th and ended one spot off the podium, but it was a huge victory for me! Kelson finished a solid Top 20 as well and Garett was in the middle somewhere too, so it was a success! The best part was everyone cheering for me, I could hear and see people everywhere and loved it!

After that my volunteer duties came in and we (Garett and I) went and got beer from JT Whitneys and also some cups and ice. We tapped the beers when we got back and got to see most of the third race which featured Jen (who got 6th in Cat 3 in her first ever cross race) and co-workers Blake and Cate who battled it out with Blake taking it in the end. The 4th race had Dave Bell and wife Renee racing and doing pretty well! The last race featured perennial all-pro Jerry Long racing in the Masters race. He didn't dissappoint either, taking the lead from the gun and never riding lower than 2nd place. He had a tight battle with Mark Harms all race but gapped him in the technical stuff and held it to the line for a victory and loads of cash!

It was an awesome day; perfect weather. Many thanks to Super Fan Jess who watched all the races and cheered and even had the dogs out there most of the day! It was fun! Many thanks also to the Schwinn team. Alvarez, Matt, Rybari, Hertz, Jerry & Kelson represented us well! Awesome job and awesome racing.

Capped the evening off with some never-ending pasta bowl (which ended at 3 bowls) with good friends! Now it's Monday and I have to work 5 days this week (haven't since August...) Guh!

1 Comments:

  • you totally dusted me!! I loved cheering for you as you went by

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/06/2006 5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home