The Waffle House Chronicles...

Friday, July 28, 2006

Good workout week!

Tuesday- Ran 5 miles in the sweltering heat at lunch. After work we (Jerry and I) did a tempo workout. Unfortunately our tempos are different so we didn’t ride together much. He also managed to get separated from me by adding a hill and I never saw him again. So I hammered it through Mt. Vernon and into Verona when he called saying he was still outside of Mt Vernon thinking I broke down. On the plus side I must’ve been a lot faster than he assumed I was!

Wednesday- I was kind of beat down but I managed some basketball and some swimming. After work we went to the bark park! I though Chili was going to die of heat exhaustion. That night I went grocery shopping and got gas. I spent more in gas ($51) than I did in groceries ($48.) I never really thought about gas prices but $35 used to be how much it cost to fill a tank. Gas is still a value I think although I wish they would moderate and increase prices more gradually. Since I started driving in 1993 I’ve paid as little as $.97 per gallon (1997, in Indiana) so the 300%+ increase seems out of hand (worse than real estate and Taco Bell.) After getting groceries I went to $1.50 tamales. All the potential was there and unfortunately I left it there as the tamales sucked. They didn’t ask what kind I wanted (and they were so busy I didn’t think about it) so I ended up with one overcooked chicken and one severely undercooked cheese and onion. The potential was there but the quality control wasn’t. I hope next time they have beef. I ate roughly one tamale between the two of them. Came home and actually did some cleaning and reading.

Thursday- Swam in the AM. Gun Show at lunch. Didn’t want to go because of the black wall cloud and cloud to ground lightning but Stephen implied I would be a wuss if I didn’t go. Well even I am a sucker for peer pressure now and again so I went. We got some light showers on the way out and Stephen and I tore the field apart and he let me take the first sprint if I would help him take the second. I about killed myself helping him toward the second sprint. Right before we hit the second sprint though the 90+ weather dropped instantly to like 60 degree weather, all I could think was tornadoes. Well instead of tornadoes mother nature decided upon a torrential downpour. We rode through the thickest rain ever, seemed like the whole road had standing water. Regardless though I got in perfect position for the sprint. 100 yards (I am guessing, I couldn’t see anything other than a red blob that I assumed was Stephen) to go and Stephen jumps. Unfortunately my legs don’t know how to sprint anymore and I held his wheel for as long as it took him to accelerate me off of it and he wins. I keep telling myself that my lack of sprint will help me for Ironman…yes that is the excuse du jour until September 10th! So I’ve got that going for me. No need for a shower either, I was refreshed. After work it was chill until volleyball. We won all three! Some celebratory Culvers and some net surfing and it was bedtime. Which leads me to today!

Tonight: Poker at Dean’s. Jess wants to buy Blockus Tetragon. I want a cheeseburger. We both might be happy!
Tomorrow: Hoops, Kettles?, Evita at Fort Atkinson dinner theater (I can’t remember the name right now and I am too lazy to look it up.)
Sunday: Running, swimming and maybe even some cycling! No Nascar. No Tour De France.

Good luck (and piss off) to all those who are going to 24/9. I am not proud not to be there but at this point I sure am glad!

I’ve got to send some special love to Kelson and Jen! They are getting married this weekend in Boston! How Kelson actually found anyone to put up with him is beyond me. And Jen is more than just anyone, she is super cool! Seriously though, congratulations and good luck!

4 Comments:

  • What route do you run at lunch? I've found a few really nice 4-5 mile loops.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7/28/2006 11:12 AM  

  • Actually, it's not that you're faster than I thought you were, it's that you are *smaller* than I thought you were. I figured ever two miles away I'd be able to see you.

    But all I could see was some pro dude on that Target Training team that was out hammering. I couldn't hang with that kind of power.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/28/2006 11:33 AM  

  • You should post this on your blog. Mesmerizing.

    http://www.planetdan.net/pics/misc/tetka.html

    If she gets stuck, just click and drag her to free her.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/28/2006 5:51 PM  

  • J3- I run the path. They have a water stop half way each way!

    J2- I guess next time I'll have to get ahead of you right away!

    J1- I hate that site...I really do!

    By Blogger Burrito Eater, at 7/31/2006 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home