The Waffle House Chronicles...

Monday, September 15, 2008

How Mark ruined a Colorado Vacation

Above is the view out of our condo window on a crisp Sunday morning. After lazing around we got going and headed out to Winter Park. Winter Park has one of the best bike parks in the US having just hosted the Crankworx festival last month. We were pretty excited. We decided on the way to take Hwy 6 over Loveland Pass. Of course decending downhill in the mountains in a car your speed can get carried away. I got caught doing 69 in a 50 zone and I wasn't even trying to speed. Fortunately the ticket for 19 over is only $70 in Colorado, not too bad. We got up to Loveland to check out some mountains. There are some pretty sweet ski resorts here, I just don't even know how you would choose one. I guess you can't go wrong anyways. We got to Winter Park and decided to have lunch. Low and behold the Packers game was just starting and we found a brew pub with the game on. By the time we were done eating the Pack was up 21-o. Headed to the park and bought some lift tickets and got ready. (Fear the Yeti!) Lift riding is the life, all the crazy terrain you want without having to kill yourself physically to get there. First run was nice, we had to take Long's trail as they had a Super D on the Cheyenne trail. Longs was a great trail. Got to the bottom and the Boot Camp trail was open. They still had all the Crankworx stunts there but not for us to ride (not that I can see how anyone could ride any of those.) They did have the dual slalom course and some dirt jumps and a pump track available so we tried those out. We rode Cheyenne later (fastest fun trail) and the boulevard (lots of nice jumps.) On our 4th time down we did Cheyenne then some other trail then I had Jess go ahead of me on Boot Camp to get photos. Here is me over a wood riser. I did some table tops without photo then I went to ride the wall ride. (This is about 1/8 of the ride as it loops around like a big horseshoe and if you have like 15mph and stick the tires at a good angle it is insanely fun.)I rode it once earlier and did it ok. This time however I was convinced to grab more speed. Of course I entered it well but I caught my left pedal on it and I was down. While I was sliding around however my shoe caught a plank and bent my whole ankle around, it was awful. And it was the end of the day and end of anything athletic this trip. While I am convinced I haven't broken anything I have a very sprained ankle (I can barely walk) and I bent my achilles and ankle both about 90 degrees to the left. So I can't really move my ankle and I can't put much weight on it (I can get around with a mean limp though.) I haven't had pain like that in a long time as I couldn't even get up to move me. Of course I got to see the next 20 people ride along the wall ride perfectly as I lay there in pain. And unfortunately Jess was on the other side of the ride to get my photo coming off of it but no photos. Next time I will run less air pressure, keep my pedal up and corner with a little more angle. We rode back to the car and packed up and headed back. The trip back was uneventful. Hit Wendys for supper as a Frosty seems to always make things better. We settled in with the movie Baby's Mama and I fell asleep to that around 8 not awaking until 6:30 this morning. I'll post more about today later (we are making the best out of it, secretly Jess is happy as I am not going to make her try to climb any more mountains.) The weather here is beautiful (70 and sunny today!)

1 Comments:

  • Gosh Mark you do always try to ruin everything. I hope your attitude gets better by February. But seriously those trails look pretty sweet, I'm not even sure if I could do the wall.

    Dude Has Quick Lite Xylophone

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/16/2008 7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home