The Waffle House Chronicles...

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

For Immediate Release:

A trip to Hawaii? A large investment in my future? Lots of planning? Why, yes, on all counts.

Yesterday I plunked down $457 to guarantee my spot in the 2006 Ironman- Wisconsin. On Sunday, September 10th, 2006, I will be trying to become the first Ironman in my family. That's right, I just committed myself to 140.6 miles of hell! So make sure to book your trip to Madison early and come down and cheer me on!

Saturday I made Jess get up nice and early and we rode the bike course (it is a 2 lap course and we did one lap.) The course was beautiful and I really enjoyed it. Sunday we got up early yet again to get a great spot on a long climb for the bike course. We shouted encouragement to the strangers and casual aquanitances (and Rachel Grimm, remember her?) until noonish. The pathetic Packer game made me wish I would've done the Ironman this year! Monday I was about 20% sure I wanted to enter. But with a small window to enter (this race sells out fast) I just took the plunge. I figured I was in the best shape of my life now and a triathlon is always something I wanted to try, so go big or go home right?

But Mark, can you swim 2.4 miles? I swam 1.2 miles once. Can you bike 112 miles? I did that once when I was 17. Can you run/walk/crawl 26.2 miles? We'll see! I am in the market for a used wetsuit! I don't want to be too big a tri-geek though so none of those funny small wheels and race man bras for me! Any tips or advice for completing this feat are encouraged!

More information will follow soon.

2006 Support staff:
Swim coach: Riz
Triathlon advisor: Brozek
Team Director, Maseusse, Support, Psycologist, Chef, Etc: Jess.
Other notables signed up for 2006 include Nagle and Bruno.

3 Comments:

  • Congrats on the commitment to the Iron man!! I'm honored to be selected to be your swim coach, which begs the question, when are we starting. Not knowing from personal experience, but I'm thinking you want swimming to be the last thing on your mind for the Ironman, I'm guessing that'll be the big warm up for the rest of the race.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/14/2005 12:56 PM  

  • Your mom thinks you are nuts!!!!! Can you wear one of those lovely orange life jackets while you swim?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/14/2005 5:49 PM  

  • Ooh, don't forget the arm floaties!!

    By Blogger el_riz, at 9/15/2005 8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home